Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Black Hair Care

I have gone from ponytails to relaxers every 3 months to make my hair more "manageable" to going back to natural, although not the ponytails... Like India.Arie said, I Am Not My Hair... My hair has truly become a reflection of my creativity. And a little bit of research and careful reading as well. While combing, brushing, moisturizing, and sometimes fighting my black hair for the past 20 or so years, I have learned some things.



  • Shampoos that contain lauryl/laureth sulfates overstrip the hair of needed oils, causing the scalp and hair to be dry.

  • Detangling the hair is best done in small sections. Start with a wide tooth comb and work your way to the small tooth comb.

  • Grease not only blocks the pores in your scalp but also collects more dust/dirt. Natural oils moisturize the scalp and hair without the greasy feel. (Carrot oil, Olive oil, etc..)

  • Most black haircare products are not made by people with black hair. Going "organic" with your haircare products will have a positive effect on your scalp and hair.

  • Natural haircare products cost more money than the average haircare product but the results are worth it. You get what you pay for!

For additional tips on caring for black hair :Click Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment